Saturday, September 4, 2010

D.Star Fashionz Interview




Hey CRB followers! I finally got the opportunity to interview the most sweetest,dopest woman in the world, and I'm not exaggerating she's great, Derricka "Star" Franklin of D.Star Fashionz. Before connecting with her through email I got in contact with her on the Sense of Fashion site, an awesome site to network with bright fashion designers, stylists, and bloggers. Open to networking, I reached out to Derricka also known as Star and asked if she would like to featured and interviewed for CRB...and I guess you guys can guess if she said yes or no. Check out the amazing interview we had today:

Me:Who is your biggest fashion inspiration, who inspires you to do what you do every day for D.Star Fashions?

Derricka:"I knew you would ask me this question (giggles), but I really don't have anyone that inspires me, besides my grandmother. When I was ten years old I started making clothes for my doll babies with the clothes my mother bought me. My Grandmother taught me how to sew, she used to make rain jackets out of garbage bags for her children.

Me: Has fashion always been your career path, if not what was it before D.Star Fashions was created?

D: I've been working with fashion for so long now, since the age of ten. But at that time I didn't know that this would be my career. When I was a teenager, I would always rearrange something my mother bought me and would get in trouble for it. Say if I got a pair of jeans I would cut and rearrange them. Fashion was just something that came natural to me. Grown women and kids would ask me to rearrange their shirts and jeans. Then I started thinking that maybe I should take this and run with it. Like I didn't go to school for fashion, one month before I was 17 I had my daughter Diamond Destiny. I had to juggle supporting Diamond and working full time to support her, but God still blessed me. I don't have my degree, but I'm still doing my own thing. I also freestyle, since I grew up with all boys in my family, on the side of fashion. Fashion and music are like first cousins, they just go together.

Me: Which fashion era defines your personal style most, 80s hip-hop, 90s grunge(the Doc Marten era), or a combination of other styles?

D: I mix everything! I'm just so different. There can be a goth line, and I take that and remix that into something urban and I remix it and make it my own by adding a glove. Adding hip-hop, goth, and urban wear then you got my style, so different. People never know if I wear the same thing twice, but I never style my outfits according to what the mannequins are wearing in the window.

Me: What is D.Star Fashion’s target market? Can you describe it as urban, contemporary?

D: Since there aren't many urban fashion lines that do their name justice, I wanted to go outside the box and be different. I plan on doing a couture line, but my urban line doesn't stop at a certain size. I can never find a pair of jeans that fit its crazy. People are different sizes, and I feel that most lines aim for the figure of a video vixen. Full figured women shouldn't have to go to specialized stores for clothes they like, lines should include all sizes. Like six years ago I worked with Forever 21 in downtown Brooklyn, and a shipment of jeans would come in and there would be ten pairs of each size, but the size thirteen [the biggest size] only had two pairs each shipment.

Me: What other projects are you working on?

D: I'm actually juggling two projects at once. I have F.A.B (females about business) which is my glam and business team that takes care of my social events. I'm also working on music for the line with my boyfriend who has his own business and is also a producer. I'm also thinking about opening my own boutique, because I'm getting alot of great feedback on my items.

---check out D.Star Fashionz on:

Twitter: @D_STARDIVA

http://dstarfashionz.webs.com/

No comments: